This project is read-only.

Hard reboot after about 10 min.

Jul 27, 2009 at 6:18 PM

Thanks a bunch for developing and sharing this app! I really wanted this feature and assumed when I was buying my Zune that by selecting "Albums/Shuffle All" from the "Music" menu, it would operate this way: randomly select an album, then play its tracks in order, then randomly select another album, etc. I'm anoyed that it didn't work that way when I bought it, and that Microsoft hasn't provided this feature, despite my having requested it on thier Zune site, and despite the two firmware updates that have occurred since.

So when a buddy, who just bought a new 120GB Zune, found this app. and told me about it I was extatic! My buddy downloaded it and installed it on both our Zunes. We're both running the current version 3.1(50) firmware. He has the 120 GB version Zune and I have an 80GB version.We were both able to succesfully run the app. It would load an album and begin playing its tracks in order, just as advertised.

Unfortunately, after about 10 min. the device goes into a hard reboot: powers down, re-loads the firmware as evidenced by the extra long load time and the Zune banner appearing, before stopping on the main menu. We tried the app. several times on both Zunes with the same results. I tried using the controls during playback to test whether it was some kind of timeout shutdown because of device controls inactivity, but that didn't seem to have any effect.

Has anyone else had this kind of problem? Are there any workarounds? Any possibility that Microsoft might roll this feature into its firmware so it isn't hobbled by the restrictions built into the game interface?

Thanks,

SloJoe

Dec 9, 2009 at 3:51 AM

Weird... I've used it for long periods of time on a Zune 80 but I don't remember which firmware it was with... the reboot is actually "normal" for the application if ends... I mean, the way compiled apps work for this generation of Zune work is that they reboot after ending.  What it sounds like though is that the application is ending for some unknown reason, sadly - or likely - a crash.  The ideal way to find that out would be to compile a debug version and check to see what the error may be...

Dec 10, 2009 at 6:39 PM

Actually, I was able to reproduce it on my Zune 80 and I think it was a combination of moving between XNA Frameworks between builds and the fact that there was a "new" game level property that needed setting.  Either way, it should be fine now - during testing I let it run for over 20 minutes, after making the fix, and it didn't stop working...

Dec 21, 2009 at 10:09 PM
Thanks, I'll give it a try!
(your message was sent to my "junk" folder and I just found it!).

SloJoe

To: [email removed]
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 12:19:39 -0800
Subject: Re: Hard reboot after about 10 min. [zuneshufflebyalbum:63660]

Actually, I was able to reproduce it on my Zune 80 and I think it was a combination of moving between XNA Frameworks between builds and the fact that there was a "new" game level property that needed setting. Either way, it should be fine now - during testing I let it run for over 20 minutes, after making the fix, and it didn't stop working...
Read the full discussion online.
To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (zuneshufflebyalbum@discussions.codeplex.com)
To start a new discussion for this project, email zuneshufflebyalbum@discussions.codeplex.com
You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on codePlex.com.
Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Hotmail: Trusted email with powerful SPAM protection. Sign up now.